One-Pot Wonder: Stove Top Stew
With Thanksgiving upon us, thoughts inevitably turn to recreating the atmosphere and traditions of that quintessentially American holiday in your Shanghai home. And frankly, that can be quite a challenge.
First off, finding the necessary ingredients is tough – not to mention finding the time to pull all the dishes that make up the perfect Thanksgiving dinner together. And of course (how could we forget) there’s the utensils and cookware to worry about – and that can be as basic as finding an oven, right?
But fear not. It’s easier than you think to capture the essential flavours of Thanksgiving – foregoing a lot of the hard work and inevitable mess to boot.
What we’re talking about here is a stovetop wonder that captures the holiday flavours you’re craving – think creamy pumpkin, crisp beans, tender meat – in a hearty, one-pot stew that everyone will enjoy.
Ingredients (for 2 people):
- 2 free range turkey or chicken breasts
- 300 g of pumpkin, peeled, deseeded and cut into 2 cm cubes
- 200 g of green beans
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 200 ml of cream
- 100 ml of chicken broth
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil
- 25 g of unsalted butter
- Rub the turkey or chicken breasts with lemon juice, then heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan. Brown the meat on both sides, remove from the pan and leave to one side.
- Add a further tablespoon of olive oil to the same pan and cook the onion until browned. Now add the pumpkin and green beans and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Put the turkey or chicken breasts back into the pan then stir in the cream and half (50 ml) of the chicken broth. Simmer for 15 minutes, uncovered, until the mixture has reduced slightly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Now cover with a lid and cook on a low heat for a further 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the sauce becomes too thick, add a few more spoons of the chicken broth.
- Serve piping hot with boiled, roasted, mashed or baked potatoes.
This recipe is contributed by FIELDS (www.fieldschina.com), your online grocery store for safe food in China. They deliver fresh and organic fruit and veg, imported and domestic meats, plus brands from home that you love and miss right to your doorstep.